Residents: 1.596 (as at: June 2020)
Location: District on the Young Danube
Special features: Pfohren's landmark is the Entenburg, an old moated castle built in 1471 by Count Heinrich von Fürstenberg.
The town was first mentioned in 817 when Emperor Ludwig der Fromme received income from goods from Pfohren from the Abbey of Saint Gall. The hunting symbol in the early Pfohren coat of arms refers to the Entenburg hunting lodge. Pfohren belonged to the royal Fürstenberg administrative district of Hüfingen (based in Donaueschingen from 1844) and was incorporated into the town of Donaueschingen on 1 January 1972.
Pfohren is the first village on the Young Danube. Until the middle of the last century, Pfohren was a purely rural area. The town was characterised by the 130 farms which were mostly operated as side businesses. A structural change came about at the start of the 1960s: development is driven by agriculture, industry, commerce and crafts, providing a number of local jobs. The “alte Schloss” (“old castle”) as the Entenburg is known in Pfohren, was professionally restored by a private investor. Nowadays, the building is privately owned and serves as a residence. In terms of leisure, Pfohren is an attraction for the entire region: the 50 hectare Riedsee lake at the centre of the Donauried river landscape offers various recreational activities. Pfohren’s residents are proud of the stork. The white storks breed each year.
The small district of Immenhöfe, situated on the county road towards Oberbaldingen, is also part of Pfohren.