Residents: 264 (as at: June 2020)
Location: north-east of Donaueschingen
Particular features: 16th century church, village lime trees, Backhäusle (small house with a baking oven used by all the families)
Heidenhofen was officially mentioned for the first time in 759/760 as Heidinhova. The shield on the district coat of arms refers to the Lords of Sunthausen, the early owners of the village. The blue and white border around the shield points back to the Counts of Fürstenberg who acquired it in 1477. Upon dissolution of the Fürstenberg principality in 1806, Heidenhofen became part of Baden. As an independent community, the town belonged to the administrative district and later district of Donaueschingen. On 1 February 1972, Heidenhofen was incorporated into the town of Donaueschingen as part of a community reform.
Heidenhofen, situated in the eastern Baar region, is the smallest of Donaueschingen's districts. In good weather, Heidenhofen provides wonderful panoramic views of the Swabian Alps in the east, the Alps in the south and the Upper Black Forest to the west.
A few families still remain from the original agricultural scene which supplied the entire village. The majority of Heidenhofen residents work in nearby businesses.
The old village church sits at the centre of Heidenhofen and is visible from a long way away. It is home to the oldest organ in the Baar region, which is still in operation. It was built in 1733 and was originally located in St. Johann’s Church in Donaueschingen. The Backhäusle forms the social hub of Heidenhofen. Here, countrywomen regularly bake bread and the Heidenhofen village festival - the Backhäuslefest - takes place here each year.
Heidenhofen district has its own website at www.heidenhofen.de.